A major focus area of the Amazon Mechatronics’ mission is to provide tools, resources, and environments that support safe, efficient, healthy behaviours and ensure the organization’s compliance with all EU, regional and local regulations as they pertain to environmental, health and safety affairs. To support this, Amazon Mechatronics is seeking an experienced and innovative Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Manager to join our team supporting our new Mechatronics site in Hamme, Belgium. The EHS Manager will be responsible for partnering with Engineering, Manufacturing, and research and development (R&D) teams at the site level to execute company EHS policies and ensure compliance to all applicable local, regional, and federal regulations. This individual will play a key role in developing and delivering a strategic EHS roadmap and providing dynamic leadership of EHS agenda for the site. This individual will be responsible for executing Amazon’s EHS programs by reviewing, auditing, training, and other implementation efforts. The Site EHS Manager must demonstrate the ability to build trust and confidence with the Manufacturing and R&D teams and influence change through providing comprehensive risk assessments and EHS data analysis.
The Site EHS Manager will be responsible for developing a team of safety professionals at a site and may be required to manage 3rd party service providers. This individual must create and execute leadership development plans for their teams. They must communicate team expectations and provide frequent feedback, and ensure the team is executing to the core competencies of an Amazon EHS professional.
Key job responsibilities
• Develop and implement site annual and 5-year strategic plan and collaborate with site cross-functional team to execute goals and objectives
• Establish an EHS Management System framework and ensure system effectively manages and continually improves the site risks and trends
• Lead legal compliance and performance improvements in order to ensure a world class safety environment for the site
• Possess a thorough understanding of local/regional and EU regulations and company policy
• Provide guidance and oversight to ensure compliance to all applicable Amazon EHS Policies and local regulations
• Develop and maintain relationship with internal (Amazon WHS) and external (governmental authorities, outside service providers) stakeholders in order to realize site safety and compliance
• Measure site’s performance against published requirements in EHS policies. For all deficiencies, identify a plan for the site to implement and fix all identified deficiencies. Drive accountability for the plan
• Analyse EHS metrics and review trends to justify the allocation of appropriate resources to areas where the EHS risk is highest
• Perform frequent site EHS audits to identify all non-compliant equipment and/or processes at the site. Implement solutions to eliminate exposure to these risks and prevent injury at other sites. Review all changes to ensure new equipment and process are compliant.
• Audit recordkeeping practices and Austin entries to ensure compliance to global EHS standards and local regulations
• Ensure site leadership and Associates are trained and knowledgeable of their responsibilities under each policy. Audit the quality, delivery (including qualifications of the trainer), and effectiveness of all required EHS training
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations: Hamme, BEL
• Bachelor’s Degree in Safety, Environmental, or related field.
• 5+ years of increasing responsibilities in EHS and/or environmental programs in manufacturing, production, or service operations
• Knowledge of EU and Belgian law and regulations related to safe working practices and environment
• Experience in HSE management systems (ISO14001 – OHSAS18001)
• Experience in developing and implementing HSE goals and strategies
• Strong change management & leadership skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including comfort interfacing with site leaders
• Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability
• Manufacturing EHS experience with mix of exempt and non-exempt employees at a site of at least 200 people
• Master’s degree in Safety, Health or Environmental, or related Engineering field, or equivalent
• Prevention advisor level 1, environmental coordinator level A
• Experience implementing lean principles and process improvement in an operational environment
• Experience in a fast paced, dynamic organization
• Certified Safety Professional